Monday, October 01, 2012

Fabulous Blocks

I am so lucky to have fabulous wonderful people out there in quilt blog land who sent me blocks to make a mourning quilt for my baby Pokey. And how do I repay you all? By not blogging for the last 6 weeks. eeeek, how did that happen?

Blocks from Marathon Quilter Cher and Heidi B. Heidi was sweet to send me German fabric to include with the quilt.


I never would have guessed Cooper would be so photogenic. He's great at cute poses and sitting still.


Smazoochie Beth made this oh so cute little Pokey face and the letters for MEOW:


Giraffe Dreams Carol E sent me an X and crumbs, and sweet Mary E., whom I met in WA last summer, made the hearts:


I'm sad to say that my horrible disorganization, procrastination, AND kitty mayhem means that I'm not as sure of who made what blocks as I should be. Diane S made the cappuccino heart (cuz Pokey was my cappuccino-colored girl) and I think it was Lynette who made the other lovely blocks. right?


Annabelle with an X made by A Moment of Whimsy Laura (a new friend from the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild - how dare she have the nerve to have to start back to school teaching instead of playing) and blocks from Margaret C:


Em Celebrates:

Quilt It Marit, who recently lost her beloved Venus. Breaks my heart.


Pokeytown Kim who's been blogging lately about her Beaver Island Quilt Retreat with Gwen Marston (woohoo):


Blue Mountain Daisy Rachael:


Sandi:



Indigo Threads Sharon K:


Note to self: never go this long between blog posts. My brain melted and I can't remember a couple of blog names. This is a lot of blocks. They are all so beautiful - this is going to be a wonderful quilt.

Laura took pity on me and cleaned out her stash.


I'm grateful for the lights and I have already used a bunch of these. Such a hoot to have all this Williamsburg Blue and Dusty Pink. Yes, I'll always take donations of uglies, especially lights. Oh and I did receive some lovely scraps to use in Pokey's quilt but did I keep track of who sent them? no, bad blogger.

I mentioned Debra in my last post. In addition to letters, she sent cat toys (those big mice with the long tails are *awesome* - they throw really well) and this cat bed (in Pokey colors) which the bigger cats take turns lounging in and catching rays. Here's Lily modelling it:


I'll leave you with one final picture. Destructo climbing girl Annabelle scaling my design wall (there's insulation board under the batting):


That's 6' off the ground at the top there. You can see all the gouges in the batting from her previous mountain climbing adventures. If there are blocks up there, she leaps up at them until she can get them down. If blocks are stuck up there with pins, that just means an extra toy to play with when she gets it down to the ground. She's a very silly girl.

So interesting how the kittens personalities differ. Annabelle is mischievous and loves to pull towels down. She leapt one too many times at the large quilts on the walls, so they've been put away and my walls are barren. Cooper meanwhile is so sweet - he jumps up and sits on my chest and rubs his face against mine. I think they've both had goes at the toilet paper - Annabelle likes to pull on the end and run with it, Cooper likes to chew through the roll. But really, that's the only naughty thing he does. I'm enjoying it all - I know they'll outgrow this kittenness all too soon.

26 comments:

Michele said...

Such great blocks! I love the Pokey face one!

Marj said...

All the blocks are great. Annabelle is very athletic! I don't want to frighten you but my Mom's cat is five now and still climbs/jumps up walls. I have a one and a half year old boy Kitty that hangs from my quilt machine rails and I have no quilts hanging on my walls. It is a good thing that they are so cute and lovable.

Lynn said...

Glad to see you back. All those terrific blocks, lots of blogger thoughts and blogger love is sweet to see. Wow that's one amazing cat. Do you think they ever think about what happens when they get to the top?

KateKwiltz said...

I came home today to an entire roll of toilet paper spun out onto the bathroom floor. I don't think they ever grow out of it!
Beautiful kitties, and that's going to be a great quilt!

Diane said...

Just the cappuccino heart block is mine! I wish I had done all of them, but alas, no. :)

jovaliquilts said...

Wonderful blocks! The Pokey face is awesome.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yeah - you had the camera at the right moment to catch her climbing! That is too funny (albeit aggravating, I'm sure). Hugs and more hugs to you!!!

Lisa Shafer said...

A quilt memorial. That's a nice idea. :) (I've just come from a funeral, so it's fitting.)

Michele Bilyeu said...

Wonderful, wonderful giving quilters, bloggers and Pokey lovers..as we all were even if we haven't contributed yet! And as I still mourn the loss of my 18 year old Willow and 7 year old Keira who drowned in our neighbors uncovered winter pool, I know the grief. But Oh, how delighted I am that you have these little sweetie mischief and mayhem makers to light up your life. Love their antics and their photos SO much, Ton!!

Mary Keasler said...

Such an outpouring of love and creativity. So good to "hear" from you again. You've been missed.

Diane said...

They have NO idea what to do with themselves when they get up that high! I had a cat who used to leap off the laundry hamper so he could walk along the top edge of the bedroom door. After about 30 seconds, he was yowling to be rescued. Ah, cats.

Kristin said...

Wonderful blocks! I feel so bad that I haven't made any! I intended to and then life got in the way. I still want to send some so I hope it's not too late.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Kristin, you're no-reply. I'm still accepting blocks for another couple of weeks.

cauchy09 said...

always so lovely to see what you're up to and what you inspire others to do. {{hugs}}

Barb said...

wow - great blocks
I love smazoochies! They are all fun

Pinkadot Quilts said...

What good friends you have to send you all those great blocks!

Anonymous said...

That Meow block i adorable!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Its wonderful to see all the Love blocks!!! I love the photos of Cooper and Annabelle, they are such characters!!

cinzia said...

Oh all these blocks are so fabulous! loving all the hearts!

Susan Garrett said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog. Love your cat too.

Teresa Rawson said...

The Pokey blocks are all so amazing! She was one loved kitty...by all of us. Your new little "demons" are delightful. I thought I would never say this, but I miss some of the kitty-craziness he used to be up to. At 6, he is getting a little ho hum. We've missed you...I hope you are settling into your new surrounding well. I've been head over heals in a very comsuming project, so it was good to come up for air and see some SWEET kitty pics!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Em said...

What a gathering!!!! U r loved!!!

Kim said...

Oh I can't wait to see these blocks put together in a quilt. How lovely! It is fun to see my little blocks being included.

Happy Sewing

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Tonya. I love cat stories. Your cats are adorable. The blocks you've gotten are marvelous, too. The variety will make a really wonderful quilt.
best, nadia

Flaviabis said...

Hi, your works are always very beautiful.
Flavia from Italy

Quiltalicious said...

Wow... those blocks are wonderful. What a great way for others to share with you at such a sad time. Your cats are amazing and look like so much fun! Alas, my own kittehs are not so athletic any more and rarely climb or get into trouble any longer.

Since you are a fellow kitteh lover, I can't help but include you in this little game - YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED!!!
http://serial-quilter.blogspot.com/2012/11/ive-been-tagged.html